Thursday, November 12, 2009

Diving In


My favorite part of writing? Getting the first three chapters down and shaping a new project.

I love it when the characters are fresh and new and I'm getting to know them. That early shaping phase, when I'm not quite sure of the plot, but have a general idea, and I can still take it anywhere, is full of hope and inspiration. So much better than when I get in about seven chapters and start to panic and wonder if I'm really headed in the right direction, and if I shaped it the right way leading in. I always panic between chapters 7 and 11. It's my rethinking phase. But the beginning? Fun!

Today's for research and planning. Testing the water. Maybe getting some words on the page and playing around. Maybe I'll hear Charlotte's voice in my head even as I'm working on a new project that doesn't involve her. And I know what she'll be saying. "Not bad, but it needs more exclamation points." Charlotte really loved her exclamation points.


No comments:

 

©2009 SHERRI AND CHARLOTTE by BloggerTemplates