Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas with the Erwins: Trimming the Tree


This is the view from my office window. The snow in the road is melted now, fortunately, but it remains on the grass. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

The first or second weekend of December, we go pick out and bring home the Fraser Fir. We used to get big ones, but I have gone smaller through the years (because I'm the one who strings the lights). I have to rearrange the furniture to fit it in to the place of honor between the picture window and the French doors. I play Christmas carols and sip egg nog. My daughter delights in going through the ornaments with me and deciding which order we'll put them on. We assign a few ornaments to the family Scrooges (my husband and son) so that they can say they helped.

We don't decorate with glass balls, a tradition going back to my childhood. We had a "Little House on the Prairie" Christmas one year. We got rid of the artificial tree and got a real one. We hand-strung cranberries and popcorn for garlands, and we had a chain made out of ribbon. And we made yarn dolls to put all over the tree. I made the same kind of yarn dolls with my children when they were little, and they still grace our tree together with the ornaments I've bought to represent each one of us every year. When my children have houses of their own to decorate, they will take their own ornaments with them to start their own traditions. For now, they're still home with me.

What is your tree like? Real or artificial? If you're celebrating Chanukah, do you have a traditional menorah, maybe a family heirloom, or something new that's all yours?

No comments:

 

©2009 SHERRI AND CHARLOTTE by BloggerTemplates