Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Smoothies 101


My breakfast smoothie basics. Today's flavor: Pineapple

Recipe:

1 c liquid (today, used 1/2 c fat free milk, 1/2 c water)
1/2 c. Fat Free yogurt
1/2 banana (mostly for texture and nutrients, you don't really taste the banana in the mix)
1-2  T protein powder (a quarter scoop)
1 c frozen pineapple chunks (or strawberries, peaches, any frozen fruit)
1 c ice

Blend it all together until smooth. (Helpful hint: Put liquids in blender first, frozen items last.)

Today's calorie count: 305

If you're adventurous, you could add healthy greens (spinach, kale). You could cut calories by a) skipping the protein powder-- though not recommended because that helps keep you full longer. b) using all water, or green tea, no milk c) substituting dairy for soy or nut based yogurt-milk (if you're lactose intolerant or vegan). Some people use fruit juice instead of water or milk, but that really adds calories.

Why not fresh fruit? I find the frozen fruit gives it a thicker, more satisfying shake-like texture.

Is it satisfying? Very. It fills me up and cuts out my snacking urges. I won't be hungry again until noon or later, but it doesn't weigh me down or sap my energy. When I have my morning smoothie, I don't even need my morning coffee. Alternate days, I will have 2 eggs or egg whites with spinach and a glass of V8. And coffee. Or, well, yesterday I had a bowl of Lucky Charms. Nobody's perfect.


2 comments:

Dee Davis said...

Looks so good. But my problem is that I can taste the banana in the mix, and I don't like it. So what would happen do you think if I left it out?

Sherri Browning Erwin said...

I think you could skip the banana. It would work.

 

©2009 SHERRI AND CHARLOTTE by BloggerTemplates